Kimchi Roast Chicken
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes for 4 people
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 jar Kimchi Club hot kimchi
- 1 cup water
- 1 Whole free range chicken (1.5–2kg)
- Olive oil
- ¼ jar Kimchi Club Bulgogi Sauce (BBQ, Hot or Hot Hot)
- Sprinkle the garlic and onion powders and salt over the chicken. Tie the legs together with twine, so they don’t dry out. Preheat the oven to 220 °C
- Pour the whole jar¹ of kimchi into the centre of a roasting tray, along with the cup of water. Place the chicken on top of the kimchi and put the tray into the oven.
- After 20 minutes turn the oven down to 180 °C. Remove the roasting tray from the oven and place the potatoes and sweet potatoes around the chicken. Potatoes should be in a single layer.
- Roast for an additional 45–60 minutes until the chicken is cooked². Remove the chicken and allow it to rest.
- Mix the potatoes and kimchi in the roasting tin. Turn the oven back up to 220 °C and blast those potatoes, turning them every 15 minutes.
- When the potatoes look crisp (and before the kimchi becomes too burnt), baste the chicken with Kimchi Club Bulgogi Sauce.
- Turn the oven temperature back down to 180 °C. Push the potatoes to the edges of the tray so the chicken can sit in the middle again. Return to the oven for 5–10 minutes until the bulgogi sauce is crisping but not burning.
- For mayonnaise: In a small bowl, mix one tablespoon of Kimchi Club Bulgogi sauce for every two tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- Serve chicken and potatoes with mayonnaise and veggies to your liking.
- You might like to keep 1/4 of the jar of kimchi to serve on the side.
- Best to use a meat thermometer to check whether chicken is done. Alternatively, skewer the thickest part of the meat and check that the juices run clear.